Hazel Christy, MBA MCIP
Hazel Christy is Managing Partner and Principal Planner with Christy & Associates, a planning and corporate consulting firm based in Kelowna, BC.
Hazel focuses on development approvals, land use, zoning matters and community issues. She has achieved many significant milestones in community planning and local government in her 30 years in both public and private sectors, in four provinces including: New Brunswick, Southern and Northern Ontario, Northern Alberta, and currently, British Columbia.
City of Armstrong, District of Peachland, and Town of Fruitvale, in addition to development applications and advisory services for private clients in Kelowna and the BC Interior.
CANADIAN INSTITUTE OF PLANNERS (CIP)
Hazel is a past President of CIP (2015-16). During this period, she managed the process to establish a new governance framework and oversaw the adoption of enabling bylaws pursuant to the federal Not for Profit Act.
An active member of CIP since 1979, Hazel is a past president of the Planning Institute of British Columbia (PIBC) from 2007 – 2009, a former member of CIP Council (2009 – 2011) and the recipient of a special Canadian Institute of Planners Award (2011).
CIP Appointments and Committees
- Vice Chair of Professional Standards Board (PSB) (2012 – 2014)
- Chair of Professional Exam and Ethics Committee of PSB (2012 – 2014)
- Member of CIP Healthy Communities Committee (since inception) (2009 – 2014)
- Member of BC Healthy Built Environment Steering Committee
(CIP rep) (2013 – 2014)
- CIP Councillor (2009 – 2011)
- PIBC President (2007 – 2009)
- PIBC Conference Co-Chair (Kelowna 2007)
- PIBC Council member (1997 – 2003; and 2005 – 2011)
- PIBC Interior Chapter Executive Committee (2004 – 2007)
- Chair of PIBC BC Municipal Act Review Committee (1998 – 2000)
- Oral and Written Examiner for PIBC and APPI (1990’s – 2012)
Hazel Christy MBA, MCIP
office: 250.863.0561 or 250.212.8085
Hazel’s love of planning and passion for community comes through in everything she does. Services provided include:
- Official Community Plans
- Zoning Bylaws
- Policy and process development
- Development Applications
- Heritage planning
- Emergency planning and recovery
- Healthy Built Environment
- Expert legal witness (Zoning)
University of Alberta
BES (Honours Planning)
University of Waterloo
Local Government Certificate